Wednesday, July 16, 2008

TV Seminar

Going to my first TV pitching seminar was like going to a pep rally. Everyone was so excited. It was actually an uplifting experience. And I mean that. The speaker was a real TV and movie executive. The thing about him that struck me right away was that he looked the part. He even said that if you want to succeed you have to look like you already are successful. I know it's one of those The Secret type deals. But I guess it must be true. For him anyways.

He was an older gentleman with a nice suit and a well pressed white shirt. Especially for 8 o'clock at night. Most shirts are wrinkled by that time. Most of my shirts are semi-wrinkled as soon as I put them on. The thing I remember most about him is his hair. He had the salt and pepper look and was very well groomed in an unruly kind of way. Not as crazy as Albert Einstein's, just neatly unruly. I've tried that look on weekends but I just look like I haven't taken a shower. As my wife will attest.

The only thing I can remember about the seminar without looking at my notes, which are somewhere in a huge pile of papers that need to be filed, is that I didn't come up to speak to him. I had my chance, two chances, actually. During intermission and after the seminar. There was a point where there were only about two people in line waiting to speak to him and he was nearby. I even had a question to ask him. He even taught us how to approach someone. You never just start out talking business. You need to start with small talk. It doesn't matter what. As long as it's not business. I should've gone to greet him. I messed up on that one. I did, however, ask a question in class. Which is a big deal for me. I wish I could remember his name so I could recommend him. I guess I'll have to look at my notes which are in my huge pile of papers that need to be filed.

No comments:

Post a Comment