Saturday, July 12, 2008

Beginnings

I guess it started a long, long time ago. I've always enjoyed the stories deejays told about the songs they played. Stories of how "Louie Louie" by The Kingsmen was just a demo and not meant for release. Or how "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam is about a kid who shot himself in front of his classmates. That kind of stuff makes the songs that much more meaningful. I also remember going to the library and checking out albums and tapes on Classical music. The back cover with the most interesting story was the one I checked out. Who knew that Beethoven wrote the Ninth Symphony while he was almost deaf. Well, I'm sure a bunch of people know that one, but it's still interesting. And it makes the symphony that much more incredible.

Knowing this, I figured a TV program about the story behind the songs would be a great idea. So I bought a rather expensive book called The Hollywood Creative Directory, went through it and figured out who would be a good producer for my program. Once this was done, I pitched it. And pitched it. And pitched it. I had no luck. So I went on a TV pitching seminar on the Learning Annex, which is what I should've done in the first place. I'll write about this on my next post. Let's just say that basically, I'm not much of a talker. This is why I stopped pitching the program. I had a partner at the beginning, but he bailed on me. It happens. My strength was the concept and writing of the show and so forth. His strength was the selling and networking. He's still helping me out with other stuff, which is good. I don't have any partners though.
Anyway, this is the beginning of the story. This blog will be about the goings on behind the scenes of the Story of Songs podcast. I know the blog is still a bit raw. For instance, I don't know how to capitalize Story of Songs. I haven't figured it out yet. But I'm anxious to start. Hopefully there will be some good stories that happen. And even more hopefully, readers and listeners will stick around.

No comments:

Post a Comment