Monday, April 27, 2009

POSSUMS LIVING IN THE GARAGE

On last weeks blog, I mentioned being on vacation, tidying up the garage and cleaning up the cat puke. I haven't gotten around to the cat puke yet. The reason being that I've been busy battling a family of possums living in our garage.

We have about five trash bags of bottles and cans that I was going to take to the local recycler. When I picked one of the bags up, the hairs on my back stood up. There lying on the floor of the garage was a mother possum and her litter. Mind you, it wasn't such a horrifying sight that made my hairs stand up, rather, it was the total unexpectedness of it.

We called Animal Control and they took away the mother, who had gotten tangled up in a plastic bag, and one of her young ones. Several times, while picking up plastic bags, I encountered other joeys, which is what young possums are called. The dogs next door to us have gotten two of them. So all in all, there have been six taken away or killed and one that got away and still on the loose in our garage. The officer who came by said they can have up to ten in the litter. So there might be more. I did a little research on a website called The Possum Pages. It said they are born the size of bumble bees. The ones we have are the size of rats. Possums are also the only marsupials in North America. Marsupials are the only animals that carry their offspring in a pouch. One other interesting fact is that they are one of the few animals that have opposable thumbs. So take that Focker.

Isn't this a blog about music, some might be wondering. Well it is, and I was wondering of a way to tie it in to music. There aren't that many songs about possums that have become hits. In fact, I've only found one. The song is Possum Kingdom by The Toadies and it isn't really about possums at all.
Possum Kingdom is a State Park in Texas.

The song, however, isn't about the park either. It may be about a stalker or a rapist or about vampires. There are different interpretations to what the lyric "I'll show you my dark secret" means. The "I'll never die" lyric has been used as the impetus for the song being about vampires.

Whatever the song is about, it's still a good song which I never would've mentioned in this blog if it weren't for the possums living in our garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment