Saturday, March 21, 2009

SPRING BREAK PARTY TUNES

Spring Break is around the corner and as everyone knows, it's time to party. Connie Francis had a movie called "Where The Boys Are" in the 1960s that might've popularized Spring Break partying even more than it already was. Frankly, a movie with a title like that is something I might not be interested in seeing. But that's just me. I never did any partying during Spring Break. The closest I ever got was turning on MTV and checking out the latest dance moves at Lake Havasu. I guess you really can't call that a party.

Having said this, if I had a party during Spring Break and had to put on some tunes, which ones would I play? So I went looking for a list of the ultimate Spring Break songs. I checked out a site from the University of Wisconsin's Daily Cardinal and they had a list. The most interesting song on the list was the "Theme from 'Jaws'". Jaws? Come on University of Wisconsin, Jaws? I guess that happens when you have too much cheese. The list did have a few good songs though. "Margaritaville" by Jimmy Buffet and "Wouldn't it be Nice" by The Beach Boys.

I also found another site with a list of the Top 50 Spring Break party songs. So I figured this was it. This was exactly what I was looking for. So I check out the list and frankly, it is just about the lamest list I have ever seen. And to prove it, I will tell you one of the songs on the list. A song on the list for the Top 50 Spring Break party songs is, hold on to your breath, "The Long and Winding Road" by The Beatles. "The Long and Winding Road" is just about the most boring song ever and I love The Beatles. They are my favorite all time band. So if you want to put someone to sleep, that's the song to play. In fact, I wouldn't mind if they played "The Long and Winding Road" at my funeral. But only if I lived to be a hundred. In fact, McCartney feels the same way about the song. He was outraged at what Phil Spector did to his song. And was one of the reasons the band broke up.

The Spring Break list actually includes another Beatle song that just doesn't make any sense at a party and that is Magical Mystery Tour. I suppose if you had to play Beatle tunes at a party, I would play "Twist and Shout" and "Money." Another song that doesn't make any sense on the list is a song by Barbra Streisand called "Somewhere." I've never heard this song but I can tell you right now with complete accuracy, it is not a good song for a Spring Break party. I just can't imagine any Barbra Streisand song being any good at a Spring Break party. Amazing voice? Yes. Terrific songs? Absolutely. For all I know, Somewhere is probably a fantastic song. But Spring Break party song? Not possible.

The list is not totally bad. I mean it does have some decent songs. For example, the list includes "Born to be Wild" by Steppenwolf, "Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynyrd Skynyrd and "Here I Go Again on My Own" by Whitesnake. But all in all, it is not a very good list. In fact, there is a song there that was listed twice. This just means that I might have to create my own list of Spring Break songs for when I do have a party. I just have to figure out how to ditch my wife and five year old son.

No comments:

Post a Comment