Saturday, November 1, 2008

BABY I WAS BORN TO RUN WITH DAVE MARSH


The next podcast I thought of doing was an amazing song called Born To Run by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. It's not often I quote songs in conversation, but I occasionally do use the Strap your hands across my engine, line on my wife. Unfortunately, it doesn't usually work. I'm no Bruce.

Obviously Bruce was out of the question as an interviewee, so I decided to try a writer. I checked on Amazon and found quite a few. Dave Marsh, in fact, had several. I knew Dave from the Louie Louie book. I won't go into its name since it has one of the longest titles ever. It's twice as long as Borat's movie, which is called "Borat: Cultural Learnings America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan." It's just the Louie Louie book to me. I also knew Dave from his book, The Heart of Rock and Soul: The 1001 Greatest Singles. A must have for someone like me.

When I contacted Dave about doing the interview, I mentioned that we had already done a podcast on Louie Louie and that we had interviewed Dick Peterson of The Kingsmen. Dave responded yes to my request and mentioned the fact that Dick was not there when The Kingsmen recorded "Louie Louie." I wrote back saying we were thrilled he was interested in doing the podcast and that we had asked Dick if he was there during the recording of Louie Louie and he admitted he wasn't. He did, however, know quite a bit about the song and the story of The Kingsmen since he's been their drummer since 1963.

Dick Peterson actually had some words to say about Dave Marsh's Louie Louie book. Namely that Dave just read articles for the book and might've even made stuff up. I'm actually staying out of this one because I like them both. Dick has a tremendous story that would make a terrific and funny movie. And Dave has written some excellent books, including BTR. On one of his emails, Dave wrote BTR/BS podcast. I had no idea what it meant. I thought it might be a texting lingo. Or even worse, it might even mean BS podcast. And I don't have to spell that out for you. So I asked Dave what it meant. He said it stood for Born To Run Bruce Springsteen. To be funny I replied that I was going to read his BS book. I didn't hear back from him. He had responded rather quickly to all my emails, but this time he didn't respond, so I thought he might've been offended. But it turned out it wasn't the case. He did respond eventually.

Dave actually postponed the interview on account of illness. We also postponed it as a result of illness and then Dave became quite busy with work doing something for Sirius radio. One of the things I like about podcasting is that you can listen any time you want. I wanted to hear some of Dave's work on Sirius, including an interview he did with Bruce Springsteen, but didn't catch. It would've been great if it was a podcast.

Dave now is on my list of interviewees who I will resume contacting once the website is up and running. He was a Rolling Stone writer and one of the founding members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. So I think it would be a good interview. Not as good as the Bob Costas interview with Dave for Later with Bob Costas. But then again we're no Bob Costas. Another reason I'd like Dave to do our show is that he is a friend of The Boss. And maybe he could put in a good word for us and get an interview with Bruce about one of his songs. That would be awesome. Maybe I'll email Dave this blog entry and see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment